Saturday, May 12, 2007

A photo taken by an Australian

It was at Sydney Central (Railway) Station that an Australian citizen came forward to ask me (I was holding a camera) if I wanted to have a photo taken with my wife and little Alison.

Before this, I had taken a photo of Loretta, my wife and Alison. At that time (about 5 o'clock), I learned that the glare of light that came from outside (left hand side) could spoil the photo, so I moved my camera to the right to lessen the chance of bright light shining towards my camera.

Loretta was actually receiving a phone call and had walked a little away from the pram in which Alison was sitting. I walked towards my wife and Alison. I believed this kind lady observed this and believed that it would be good to take a photo for us.

With her warmest offer, I handed over my camera to her without a second thought. It was the first time I encountered such offer in Australia. With the gentle click of the button to my camera, she took the photo. I thanked her with a smile and she walked away with satisfaction. I knew she enjoyed the help she offered to me and had done a good job in promoting tourism.

The photo came out to be one with the glare of light that spoilt the left bottom corner and blurred the photo to some extent. I did not mind the quality of the photo, but thanked this kind-hearted lady in taking a photo for us so that we could bring home an "unforgettable memory"!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We never knew you had this encounter with a kind stranger but are glad to know it now. A little kindness goes a long way. This Australian lady might not even remember this kind act but nothing escapes God's eye.

You two look great in the photos, happy and smiling. We hope this photo will always bring back sweet and unforgettable memory for you, as you have mentioned.

Just one more thing, the clock behind you seemed to be at 7 o'clock.

sswat3 said...

You are right. The time was 7 o'clock when this photo was taken. The sunlight was still strong, but it shone at a small angle into the station.

I know the reason now. Sydney is south of the Tropic of Capricorn. Its latitude was 33 degrees South. That is to say it is nearer to the South Pole than Hong to the North Pole. Since we have Mid-night sun at the Antarctic Circle in Summer, we expect much longer day-time than night-time.

I do remember that when we went out of the station, everyone of us with a camera took some photos of this classic station. That took ten minutes or so. Later we waited for a bus for ten minutes at the bus stop near by. Then the bus took another ten minutes to New Town. It was still bright when we reached Loretta's home. We chatted some time at her house. Night fell when the boys went out to buy pizzas home. Roughly speaking, night fell at about eight in this case.