This is a story told by Kevin Tsang:
A CityBus (fleet no.: 445) retired yesterday. It was unexpected that the very last route it operated on its last day was 170 (a long-distance route crossing three tunnels, namely Lion Rock Tunnel, Aberdeen Tunnel and Cross Harbour Tunnel). 445 is a unique one in CityBus due to its all yellow body whereas ordinary CityBus Buses have yellow blue and red colour as standard colours of the company. The reason for it having the special all yellow body still remains a mystery to bus enthusiasts. It is a Volvo Olympian with TD engine. It revealed the long hidden KCR logo on the Sha Tin Station route display since most buses have already got their display changed but not for 445 as it usually operated on local routes like 1, 5, 5B, 10, 70, 72, 75, 90, 97, 592 etc. and seldom operates on long distance routes like170.
I came across it heading for Wah Fu.at noon yesterday outside the Cross Harbour Tunnel Since I have not had lunch at that time, I did not jump on to it. However, after dinner, I decided to take a ride because I have had quite a lot of childhood memories with this bus so I took it to Sha Tin. There was a saying that it would operate its last journey from Sha Tin Station to Wah Fu at 23:45 but since its license expires after midnight, it would become illegal owhen running on roads of Hong Kong. The bus company decided not to take the risk, hence, 445 took its last journey departing from Sha Tin at 21:20 to Wah Fu. There were kids who grumbled at their parents saying that they wanted a newer bus instead of 445. Nevertheless, when the kind-hearted driver told them they were lucky to take the very last journey of 445, they became excited and took a lot of photos with the bus. After arriving at Wah Fu, another bus (fleet no.:325) was ready to take up the remaining journey of the day and 445 had to return to the depot to end its service. The driver was extraordinarily kind that he allowed us to take enough pictures before driving the bus away. He even offered us to change its route display. I immediately changed its display to route 10 while somebody suggested changing it to BYE but I insisted number 10 because I took it every day to my elementary school and it is the route 445 for 17 years. When the driver was driving it away from the terminal in Wah Fu, he suddenly opened the door again and waved to us signalling us to board the bus again! We were the last 4 passengers of the bus which was supposed NOT IN SERVICE!! While making a brief stop at the Ocean Park depot, the driver warned us not to get off the bus and we hid inside the bus in order not to be discovered by the depot manager since it was not appropriate to have passengers on a PRIVATE bus. We got off the bus outside the depot in Chai Wan finally -- I was the last passenger getting off 445 and we witnessed the staff labelling it as "RETIRED" What an amazing experience to me!
Top Photo: Taken at Wah Fu Bus Terminal after its last service journey on 170. I changed its route to number 10 at last and some one suggested N10, an overnight version of route 10). After that it remained its display as N10 North Point.
I came across it heading for Wah Fu.at noon yesterday outside the Cross Harbour Tunnel Since I have not had lunch at that time, I did not jump on to it. However, after dinner, I decided to take a ride because I have had quite a lot of childhood memories with this bus so I took it to Sha Tin. There was a saying that it would operate its last journey from Sha Tin Station to Wah Fu at 23:45 but since its license expires after midnight, it would become illegal owhen running on roads of Hong Kong. The bus company decided not to take the risk, hence, 445 took its last journey departing from Sha Tin at 21:20 to Wah Fu. There were kids who grumbled at their parents saying that they wanted a newer bus instead of 445. Nevertheless, when the kind-hearted driver told them they were lucky to take the very last journey of 445, they became excited and took a lot of photos with the bus. After arriving at Wah Fu, another bus (fleet no.:325) was ready to take up the remaining journey of the day and 445 had to return to the depot to end its service. The driver was extraordinarily kind that he allowed us to take enough pictures before driving the bus away. He even offered us to change its route display. I immediately changed its display to route 10 while somebody suggested changing it to BYE but I insisted number 10 because I took it every day to my elementary school and it is the route 445 for 17 years. When the driver was driving it away from the terminal in Wah Fu, he suddenly opened the door again and waved to us signalling us to board the bus again! We were the last 4 passengers of the bus which was supposed NOT IN SERVICE!! While making a brief stop at the Ocean Park depot, the driver warned us not to get off the bus and we hid inside the bus in order not to be discovered by the depot manager since it was not appropriate to have passengers on a PRIVATE bus. We got off the bus outside the depot in Chai Wan finally -- I was the last passenger getting off 445 and we witnessed the staff labelling it as "RETIRED" What an amazing experience to me!Top Photo: Taken at Wah Fu Bus Terminal after its last service journey on 170. I changed its route to number 10 at last and some one suggested N10, an overnight version of route 10). After that it remained its display as N10 North Point.
Bottom-left Photo: Taken at Cross Harbour Tunnel Toll Plaza.
Bottom-right Photo: Taken at Wah Fu estate, with the route display of Sha Tin Station with KCR logo
No comments:
Post a Comment