Friday, July 19, 2013

Late Season


The two-word message, “Late Season”, on the black label of a Sunkist orange in June signifies that this kind of oranges is the last lot of the harvesting season. This obviously means that sweet oranges from America will disappear in our market for some time.

Soon different kinds of oranges from South Africa and Australia replace the first-class ones from the States. They are paler in flesh and skin and less sweet even if they are navels. We have to bear the sourness of the current oranges until the sweet oranges come again in a few months’ time.

in my mind, tangerines are only produced in China. This year I find that I am totally wrong. United States and Pakistan are also tangerine-growers. I first discover Sunkist tangerines several months ago. My grand-daughters love them and so I buy quite a lot to satisfy the two girls after dinner.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

We learn that putting oranges into warm water for 20 - 30 minutes before cutting could increase the sweetness.