Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Private or Public?

On March 18th when I passed Lancashire Road, Kowloon Tong, I saw some familiar flowers hanging down from the fence of a high wall of a low house. I don’t know if these flowers are called 炮仗花 in Chinese or not. Let me invite Felix Ching, my dear colleague, to identify them for me!

Since these flowers were in mid-air (out of the fence) high above me, I could not touch them. What I could do was to raise my camera and took a shot at them so that I could bring home a memory of the old days when I first met them some forty to fifty years ago.

Were these flowers private property since they received water and nutrients through the stems, stalks and roots from the soil behind the wall? Were they public when they were hanging out from the wall to the pavement I was walking on?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a climbing plant with beautiful orange-colored flowers.

Scientific name is Pyrostegia ignea. Common name is "Flame Vine" or in Chinese 炮仗花 .

For more info and pictures, please check out
http://mgonline.com/flamevine.html

sswat3 said...

Thank you, Felix. You are most helpful!

These flowers do give me good memories!

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Whether public or private, they are there for you to enjoy.