Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Equestrian Games in Hong Kong

To promote the Equestrian Games to be held in Hong Kong for the Olympics, some artists create some crafts (工藝) or sculptures (彫塑) of horses.

You may have different perceptions when you see the following photos which I took yesterday at the edge of the Shatin Central Park.

Photo[1] shows a horse made of aluminium (my guess). I admire the artist who is so creative to turn strips of cold metal strips into a live horse with movements. The strips are like those flat wide noodles (寛條麵) we eat. If I am given such metal strips, I am sure I am not able to make such a horse.

Photo[2] shows two vivid horses running on grass.

Photo[3] shows a horse with beautiful patterns. The patterns on this horse are those on some wrapping papers. It looks much like a “gift” more than a “horse”. At the time I took the photo, I wondered if it was made of paper or cardboard, so I walked to the board of introduction. Well, I was amazed to find that it was made of steel. In that case, the flat surfaces of the horse must have been sprayed with blue paint and patterns added afterwards.

Photo[4] shows a wall-picture in which a flat black horse appears in the centre.

What is your opinion on this collection of horses at Shatin Central Park? Which horse or horses do you like best?

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

They are all so beautiful, creative and lively. We admire the talented artists who designed and made them. We like them all, especially the first, second and fourth displays.