Monday, June 11, 2012

Photos of recent Solar Eclipse by specialists

In this particular year 2012, many people are deeply interested in viewing the eclipses of the sun whether it is annular or partial or not. Here are some photos taken by specialists in photography or astronomy on May 20. I just marvel at these photos, but not knowing how they can be taken by cameras of the specialists.

The top left photo shows the Eclipse over the Golden Gate Bridge:

Although San Francisco was just below the path of the eclipse to see a proper ring of fire, it has been quite amazing to see the tiny crescent of the sun right above the South tower of the GGB. Great day over the Bay!
This photo was taken in Marina District, San Francisco, CA, US, using a Canon EOS 5D.
Image Credit : Marco Pelo
Both the top-right and bottom-right photos are montages.
The bottom left photo shows The Lord Of The Ring (Annular Solar Eclipse) on.May 20, 2012
Sundown, TX.by Chris Lynch.using a Nikon D7000.
The bottom centre photo was photographed by Randall Benton, Sacramento Bee/AP. 

2 comments:

psng said...

I don’t know how these pictures are made but if I was to create the one like the Golden Gate shot, this would be my approach. The picture requires either multiple exposures on camera or with an image manipulation software (such as Photoshop) to combine the images together. To begin, I will need to pick a vintage point and determine a fixed field of view so that I will see the background I wanted, the entire path of the Sun within the frame, and be sure that the Sun will not intersect with any of structures in my background. It is paramount that the camera’s position and view needed to be fixed for the entire sequence so that the sun will in proper relative size and its path accurately recorded. When the Sun begin to appear within the frame (upper left corner), I will take the first exposure with the proper solar filter on. I will use a manual exposure setting that will make the sun white in order to later on “burn through” the background sky while keep the rest of the image black so that it will not leave any traces. Keep exposing in a fixed interval until the sun has completely set behind the background. Then I will take the solar filter off and expose the background normally at the end. If I have been multiple exposing (like on film) than I am done keeping my fingers crossed that it will turn out the way I planned. If I have multiple images (like on digital), I will stack the sun exposures layered on top of the background image. Then by using “blending options” I will just blend in the “white” suns onto the background and crate the composite.

I am just glad that someone would go through the effort to pre-visualize, plan, test, and execute to bring us beautiful pictures like these.

sswat3 said...

You have already become a specialist now, Peter!

Thanks for your efforts in taking photos of this kind. It takes much patience, time and planning before an outstanding photo is produced.

Keep trying your new skills, ideas and plans. I hope you will create stunning photos for the world to see!