Saturday, February 09, 2013

Medical Examinations at PWH

Back to November 26, at around 4 o’clock, I felt cold and exhausted after walking rapidly to City One Station. Twice did I faint and finally I dropped flat on the platform ground. I woke up to find the station master who told me that he had called an ambulance. Immediately I informed my wife by phone about my accident. Soon I was sent to A & E at Prince of Wales Hospital. I was initially examined by a nurse and later a doctor. My wife arrived in a short while after my daughter returned home to take care of her children. A doctor came to tell me that I was admitted to the hospital.

Having taken my first plate of food at the waiting area, at about seven thirty, I was brought to Ward 10B where I was allocated to a bed called 1X at the corridor. There it was a sleepless night to me because of the occasional voices from a patient and the conversations among nurses.

On the next day, November 27, Doctor Wan came to see me with another doctor. He decided to transfer me to Ward 7C. In a single room at 7C, my blood pressure, pulse rate, breathing rate and oxygen content were closely monitored. The “warning” sounds from the machine, the regular measurements of my blood pressure at the arm and the coldness of the room had broken my sleep into pieces. Nurses rushed in at one time when my blood pressure dropped to 74 - 34. Perhaps I was at a dormant state after I was chilled for some time in the room. Well, they left after my blood pressure bounded.

The next morning at ten, November 28, I received a Coronary arteriography to see if there was any blockage in the arteries. The operating doctor told me that my arteries were fine. At 2 o’clock, I was bought to a room in the old medical building to have a 24 hour monitoring device attached to my chest.

Because of haemorrhoids, I consulted a specialist doctor on the morning of November 29 and in the same afternoon, the heart monitoring device was removed.

On November 30, Friday, at about half past eleven, I took a cardiac graph through a walking machine. The results were not bad. Unexpectedly, I was granted a “Home leave” for two days and three nights. Well I could get better sleep at home at the weekend.

I returned to the hospital on the following Monday as early as seven and stayed at PWH for four more days because I was still under observation. I was successfully discharged on Thursday, December 6. What a big relief to me!

On December 10, I went to PWH again and this time I received an ultrasound study (ECHO) of my heart. The result came out to be “Normal”.

Hard time came three days before I took the colonoscopy because only low-fibred food should be taken and on the day prior the examination, I could only drink thin congee and nothing else besides water.

Drinking of 4-litre water with laxative was a must to me at the hospital ward 7C on the morning of January 7, 2013. There was no question that I would be busy at the toilet that very morning. The colon examination started in the afternoon. I was given some medicine to pull me to sleep. Back to Ward 7C, I was told that there was no problem at my colons. Well, my worries had gone.

There would be some follow-up appointments for me to consult specialist doctors in Cardiology and Colorectal Surgery in the coming months.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Thank God for the good news that your heart and bowel tests are all normal. We are very happy to learn about this.

Happy Chinese New Year!