Friday, February 23, 2007

Apples with Chinese characters


Have you seen this kind of apples before? I found one last July.

At a supermarket, I snatched it at once because I had never seen such an apple with a Chinese character on its skin before. Unfortunately, I could not find any other apples of this kind, otherwise I would buy the whole box. I treasured this extraordinary apple in my refrigerator! In my heart, I could add other words to make sense, such as “恭喜發財”!

Days passed. To me, it was as precious as gold, but I could not keep it for long. Eventually it would become rotten. Before we ate it, I took photos of my wife and daughter holding it and the one above with its brothers and sisters.

My family love Fuji apples (富士蘋果) because they look beautiful and sweet. At first they came from Japan and were usually very expensive. Soon China produced Fuji apples as well. The prices were much lower, but their quality remained good.

The best Fuji apples should appear to be redder, preferably rich in textures with small orange-yellow coloured spots in between the red colour and a small yellowish area at its base (the right-hand bottom one in the above photo is a nice apple).

Avoid choosing those which appear to be pale yellow and without textures. They are less sweet. Never buy those with bruises, otherwise you are eating 90% of an apple. They are actually beginning to decay, decompose…..! I am quoting those terms which Felix often used in his old days at CCSC.

No comments: