
In Sydney, Singapore as well as United States of America, a lot of calculations went through my head when I went into shops and markets. I roughly estimated the prices of articles and took quick comparisons between similar ones in Hong Kong and those before my eyes. If the answer was “Yes”, there were still these things to consider.
(1) Are they too heavy or bulky to carry?
(2) Are they forbidden to take on the plane?
(3) Are they breakable or liable to change shape before they reach home?
(4) Are they liable to dirty all our clothes when broken?
X8
The tourist guide in our US tour to Los Angeles and Las Vegas told us that it was good to go to United States because there were not many things for us to buy since everything was so dear. His words were true!
At Los Angeles, I bought a Pictorial Map of San Francisco for US$7.5 and at Las Vegas, two T-shirts, US$9.9 each, from an outlet which supposed to sell cheap goods, some light souvenirs from Coca-cola and M & M shops.
I hated paying GST in America. Take for example, when the price of an article was marked at US$9.9, I had to pay more than that and the bill often came out to be an awkward figure. I did not know how much to pay until I was told at the counter.
X6
At Circular Quay in Sydney, I bought a black cap bearing a white kangaroo at the front, an Australian flag and five white stars on its sides and “Sydney, Australia” at the back. This cap contained everything I wanted, so I bought it. It cost A$9.9. Further on, small dolls of a kangaroo and a koala and 6 key-chains went into my shopping bag. Actually many of the souvenirs I bought home were made in China.
X5
In Singapore, my wife bought several T-shirts, but not fur coats otherwise my wallet would be emptied. Thanks to the hot climate of this country! Our chief target in this trip was to buy home some dried beef and pork as gifts to our beloved relatives. The task was done on a wet afternoon and the meat was quite expensive, about S$100. That was an exchange of Half a Golden Cow (金牛) for some dried beef and pork.(牛肉乾.豬肉乾). In this trip, I only bought a plastic magnet, some key-chains and a map of Sydney. It was strange that standing in a bookstore in Singapore, I could not find maps of this country. Maybe they were hidden somewhere that I could not see!
1 comment:
Decision, decision, decision!
This is a very normal reaction when you consider buying things in a foreign country.........
Hey, just a question:
Before you pursued Yuen Siu, Did you ever think of,
" Will she cook,clean, mop, scrubb etc. etc?" or were you just so madly in love with her that you didn't mind anything,even if you were the one who had to do everything, as long as you could be with her.
If there is anything that makes God do stupid things, it is His love for us. He is so madly in love with us that He Himself came to us, in the form of His Son Jesus. He died for us on the cross so that we could go back to him to call Him our Heavenly Father,to be united with Him in His Kingdom. He doesn't mind paying the high price.
Have you come across something you love so much that you didn't mind the price?
Post a Comment