Monday, July 09, 2007

Bird Study (7) – Felix remembers a previous bird visit

Felix considers these birds to be his friends, not simply visitors. It was June 24th.

Felix gave his report:

I went out today and manage to come back before sunset, and took a picture of the "3 sisters"-- baby robins. (I just make out the name '3 sisters' as honestly I can't tell a male from a female.) Anyway, as you see they are now very big and alert... just look at their eyes. I envisage some time next week when I come home I may find the nest empty.... the mother may have flown off with her 3 daughters. I really hope I can see them leave myself.

The last time the cliff swallow left my place when I was working in the yard one Sunday (or Saturday) morning, the mother bird (and kids) were very noisy (like the mother giving final instructions to them before setting off).... then the mother led the kids off the nest, circle two times over my house/yard, and flew off.... never to be seen again. I did quietly say my good wishes for them.

I don't know how these robins do when they leave. I wish they pick a Saturday or Sunday...;-)

Felix has made his wish and let us see if it comes true!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We absolutely love the photo, the three little birds are really really lovely and cute. Their eyes are sooo bright. Thank you very much Felix,it was a job well done. It is such a precious photo to treasure. We also wish the robin family good luck when the day comes for them to follow the natural course of their lives according to the plan of God who created the world and everything in it. Felix will probably be sad to see them leave. We will miss them as well.

Do you still remember "The Three Sisters" at the Blue Mountain ?

sswat3 said...

Yes, I remember The Three Sisters! They don't really look like human beings, but three pillars of more or less the same height.

Is there any story behind them? If there is, I just want to know!

In Hong Kong, the Amah Rock (望夫石) behind the Lion Rock overlooking Hung Mui Kuk, resembles a mother carrying a baby at her back waiting for her husband to return.

Anonymous said...

The Legend
The Aboriginal dream-time legend has it that three sisters, 'Meehni', 'Wimlah' and Gunnedoo' lived in the Jamison Valley as members of the Katoomba tribe.

These beautiful young ladies had fallen in love with three brothers from the Nepean tribe, yet tribal law forbade them to marry.

The brothers were not happy to accept this law and so decided to use force to capture the three sisters causing a major tribal battle.

As the lives of the three sisters were seriously in danger, a witchdoctor from the Katoomba tribe took it upon himself to turn the three sisters into stone to protect them from any harm. While he had intended to reverse the spell when the battle was over, the witchdoctor himself was killed. As only he could reverse the spell to return the ladies to their former beauty, the sisters remain in their magnificent rock formation as a reminder of this battle for generations to come

This is the happy as well as sad story about the 3 rocks. Anyway they are beautiful!

Did you know The Three Sisters are 922, 918 & 906 metres tall, respectively. That's over 3000 feet above sea level.

sswat3 said...

Thank you for giving me such a vivid story. It would be more impressive to me if you told me the story when we first reached the Blue Mountains!