Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Rare Single-decked KMB bus

Yesterday at Lok Fu Bus Terminus, I was surprised to find a modern single-decked KMB bus. It was a “7M” bus running the route from Lok Fu (樂富) to Chuk Yuen Estate (竹園邨).

Chuk Yuen Estate is high above Lok Fu on the slope of Lion Rock. Certainly the residents of this estate must use this bus service apart from using minibuses.

I remember that in the past there were two bus routes, “207” and “208” running from Tsimshatsui to Kowloon Tong and Broadcast Drive respectively. At that time, the bus company said that these buses are “luxurious” ones. I did not agree because they were just like ordinary tour buses. The “207” service vanished for a long time while “208” service remains. Perhaps, the market at Broadcast Drive is still big.

Owing to the fact that the bus company eyes on the “hilly” factor of Chuk Yuen and the need of the residents to go to MTR station at Lok Fu, the “7M” bus service has been launched for years.
I believe double deckers "7M"s are running at peak hours while single-decked buses at non-peak hours.

The single-decked bus in the photo is stylish because its windows are big and the seats are lower than the other buses. I, myself, would like to ride on such a “luxurious” bus because if I sit inside when the bus is moving, it seems to me that I shall be walking in the street side by side with the pedestrians.

2 comments:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Looks very elegant and comfortable indeed.

小熊貓 Little Panda said...

I have never seen a single-decked KMB bus before... Thanks for sharing this information with me. My knowledge has been broadened alot since reading your blog.

Indeed, the comfortable level of the seats of buses in Hong Kong has already improved a lot since I left Hong Kong in 1997...