Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mosaic Wall Pictures at Ngau Tau Kok

When I got off from an 89X bus at Ngau Tau Kok this Monday, I turned my way towards Ngau Tau Kok MTR Station. Looking up, I was astonished to see two large mosaic pictures on two walls of a pillar supporting a pedestrian footbridge near the station.

I marvelled at the pictures because it is difficult to make them so detailed. The artist(s) who make(s) them must have drawn the pictures beforehand. The finished pictures should have been divided into smaller squares by grid lines so that the correct coloured tiles are carefully selected. The tiles will be numbered according to the grid and stuck to the walls, square by square. It is painful and careful work to put the designated tiles at their right places.

Both pictures show the real street scenes at Ngau Tau Kok. The bottom left one shows the passers-by in heavy clothes. Some of them are talking. One man was kneeling down to tighten his shoes. Some are walking up a pedestrian footbridge. We can see some buildings in this area. The bottom right shows people visiting the old stalls here. The woman on the left is a typical housewife buying things home. The man in blue shirt and trousers is looking at the things in one of the stalls. Most probably the stalls are selling roasted meat, small electric appliances and so on. Someone is selling preserved plums or similar fruit. The tall buildings behind are those of a public housing estate in the area.

The pictures can definitely show the life-styles of the residents in Ngau Tau Kok. They record a glimpse of harmony and comfort of living here.

The two top-left small photos show the two faces of the pillar.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

SS, it's really a wonderful work!

Now I am wondering if there was any news about the making of this.

If you were there by the time it was being made, it would make you amazed a lot, I believe !