Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Chinese Calligraphy at MTR stations

Beautiful Chinese calligraphy first impressed me many years ago when I found them on the metal walls of some of our MTR stations on Hong Kong Island. I could feel the strokes of Chinese characters across the walls of the platforms at the following stations – 天后, 炮台山, 北角, 鰂魚涌, 太古, 西灣河, 筲箕灣…….

Today a big shock comes to me when I look at the photos provided by MTR Company, some of those lovely Chinese calligraphy of Station names had gone. They are replaced by very low-graded writings. How depressing it is to me.

Yesterday I came across the Chinese calligraphy displayed for about eight years at stations 調景嶺 and 將軍澳. The brush to write these station names must be big and the strength of each stroke of the characters can be seen.

3 comments:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

We love the artistic Chinese calligraphy writings too. We also admire ( or envy ) people who can write beautiful Chinese characters.

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

There should be reasons for replacing the calligraphy writings with very low-graded writings.
Can you guess the reasons?

Are you able to show us some of the very low-graded writings?

sswat3 said...

Please read my recent e-mail to you!