Friday, January 14, 2011

Street Performers

These are some of the street performers in Seattle. They play music with their guitars, clarinet, bass violin and piano. Their performances at Pike Place Market and before the First Starbucks in the world create the culture and spirits of America. As tourists, we welcome the country music in the American way. How nice it is to hear such kind of music imagining cowboys chasing cows they rear.

When my wife and I were at Circular Quay in Sydney, in December, 2006, we saw a performer dressed up like a donkey standing motionlessly on a box. I wondered if "it" was employed by the Australian Government to entertain the tourists. I did not walk near “it” because I was afraid “it” would lean or fall head-long on me. I pitied “it” because the brown coat could have made “it” sweat through under the red hot sun.

Another experience came from the performances of an acrobat on Granville Island, Vancouver, in 2009. Throughout, Abby, our grand-daughter, watched the tricks with big smiles. The performer was so frank to say that he needed some money. Some of us, as spectators at the square, gave him some coins or notes after he had finished the performances. Philip asked Abby to give him a coin and I did too. We saw our grand-daughter running twice forward to place a coin into the hat of the acrobat and back.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

It always feels good to give some money to the street performers. Abby must be happy that she could have the chance to do this.