Here is the story Felix tells me:
This is probably the 3rd year (could be 4th year) that I have bird actually built a nest in MY trees in the backyard, even when the trees were small when we first moved in. It was exciting. There is another kind of bird, the cliff willows, that also want to build a nest, but they do this with clay and saliva, and the finish product is a round dark brown colored structure which is hideous -- looks like cancer growing from the house. So they are not welcomed, and whenever they succeed in sticking some clay on the corner wall, I wash it down with strong tap water gun.
Those birds that build a nest with leaves and twigs are welcomed, and they look really like a work of art.
There is little that one can do watching the birds. Many of them are so well concealed that you don't even know their existence until after the season (or a year) when the nest were blown down in a storm.
This bird right now is easy to observe since the nest is low. I can see it without need for a ladder or something. The most I could do is to take a couple photos from a distance. I don't want to disturb them. Some birds kill their young or abandon them if they know some human beings try to get them.
I told you there is a second net in the Rosewood tree. Yes, confirmed today when I saw the bird flying out of it. Quite small bird, but sings beautifully.
Felix identified the kind of bird from one of his colleagues:
I showed the picture to a coworker who is a bird watcher, and immediately he told me it is an American Robin, which in Chinese is 知更鳥(Robin). The eggs should be blue in color, but I dare not try to climb up and check. maybe just leave her alone.
1 comment:
We now know that robin is
知更鳥, we love the English name but love even better the Chinese name--a sentimental and poetic name. How fortunate for Felix to have this type of lovely birds to build nest in his backyard.
Post a Comment