Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Looking at plums can stop thirst (望梅止渴)



On reading one of my recent blogs, Felix remembered the luncheon meat he used to eat in the 80’s. He said that there was a “white pig” on the wrapping round the can and he said it was of the brand “Mui Lam”.

I am not a frequent diner of luncheon meat, so I ask my relatives to tell me if there was such kind of luncheon meat in the past and what brand it was. They answer me right away that it was of “Great Wall” brand. I go on asking them if they are still on sale nowadays. They say, “yes”! Well, it is big relief to me because I can take a photo of these cans of meat and tell Felix about it.

Yesterday, my wife and I dropped in a supermarket and found the luncheon meat Felix loved to eat in Hong Kong in the 80’s. (Look at the left-hand photo)

Since Felix cannot buy this kind of pork luncheon meat with ham in SFO, meanwhile he has to look at the cans of his favourite pork here to stop his hunger. Felix! Wait for next time to come back to Hong Kong to taste it!

The right-hand photo shows the kind of luncheon we ate in the past. It was the brand of “Maling” (梅林牌).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yes, the picture on the left is the "white little pig". I know there was a difference between the round and the square cans, but I don't remember now what's the difference. We see round cans in San Francisco.