Cars and trucks began to board the large ferry at around ten forty. There were two decks for carrying vehicles. Our car was among the last lot of cars that went into lower deck. After we had entered the deck, we took a lift to one of the upper decks for passengers.
There were different cabins on the ferry. We found one with comfortable sofas, all facing the sea.
We went out to the walkways around the ferry to take some photos. It was interesting that some seagulls were following our ferry. I wondered if they wanted to find a “companion” on the sea or they wanted to eat the food the passengers threw at them. Once I saw two seagulls land on the walkway. It was cold and windy outside, so it was not long before we returned to the cabin we were staying.
Soon we ate our home-made hot-dogs at our seats and drank some water. Next my wife and I went to the gift shop. There I bought three ball-pens marked with “Vancouver”, “Canada” and “BC Ferries” as souvenirs.
The sea journey took about one and a half hours to Swartz Bay. The ferry was called Spirit of Vancouver Island, built in Victoria, 1994. It could accommodate a maximum of 410 cars and 2100 passengers.
The memories of taking the Yaumati vehicular ferries in early years across our Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong all flied back to me.
3 comments:
It also reminds us of our sea voyage between the North and South Islands of New Zealand.
I was on this ferry to Victoria in 2001, and had exactly the same nostalgic sentiment as Wat. Just like the Yaumati vehicular ferry.
Did you visit the Buchart Gardens? Victoria has a small Chinatown and I ate Chow Mein there. Pretty OK quality.
We had actually reached one of the pay booths and told the young man there that we got the wrong way and had to find the way out.
Do you know why? Having heard that it was a garden into which we had to pay a lot, I demanded to abandon the visit.
It was worthy for you to take a visit because you knew flowers more than we did. You are a photographer, but we aren't. I thought I should forget it.
We had visited the small Chinatown in Victoria. We took dinner in one of the restaurants there. I will talk about that here very soon.
Post a Comment