Thursday, March 10, 2011

Blue Mountains Blue

We have blue sky and blue seas. Why do Blue Mountains (New South Wales) look blue?

HKTVB tells me that the effect comes from the evaporation of the oil at the leave surfaces of the many Eucalyptus trees (尤加利樹) (native to Australia) that grow on these mountains.

3 comments:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

It is a beautiful name.

In fact we have also seen breath-taking sceneries of far away mountain upon mountains in beautifully blue colour.

sswat3 said...

Before flying to Australia, I wrote to Felix and told him that my wife and I would visit Sydney some time in December, 2006. I first heard the name of Blue Mountain from HIM. He said Blue Mountain was a sight-seeing spot which I could visit.

It so happened that you took us there on December 29. That afternoon, the weather was not so good with very little sunshine. Everything appeared gloomy, sky and landscape likewise. It started to rain when we reached the Visitors' Centre.

We went 20 to 30 steps down the steel staircase and turned into a horizontal passageway. Rain began to fall and we took shelter in a depression at the side of the mountain while the youngsters, Tim, May, Connie and Philip continued their way descending the valley of the waters.

I puzzle for long why Blue Mountains look so blue. I am too lazy to find out the answer until this week. Thanks to TVB!

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

That certainly is the best answer.