Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Floral Garden

Felix Ching grows his garden plants at his backyard. His backyard is not big, but there is a great variety of trees and shrubs. The spring scene of flowers cheers him and his family. Although I live thousands of miles away, I can perceive the beauty of his floral garden from his photos.

Here they are from left to right -

Top row:
(1) A Plum tree with pink flowers (李樹) - Normally, it flowers in the early spring.
(2) A Colorado Blue Spruce - It is a medium-sized evergreen tree with needle-like leaves and cones.
(3) A Japanese Maple tree - with leaves in deep purplish red

Bottom row:
(4) Cherry Blossoms in beautiful huge pink flower clusters, variety "Kwan Shan" 櫻花 (關山品種), currently in full bloom.
(5) leaves of the Japanese Maple tree
(6) Ching Sir uses half-wine-barrels as big containers for plants

In Spring, Felix's garden is full of colours - pink, red, green and colours that we may not think of.

6 comments:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

A beautiful garden indeed, we especially like Cherry Blossoms.

sswat3 said...

For me, I am in favour of the Japanese Maple tree because of the shape and colour of its leaves.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Wat, for posting those pictures. I have had the Cherry blossoms (both varieties) for almost 10 years and every year they are full of pink and/or white flowers. I acquired the maple only 2 years ago. Before I was afraid my place was too windy for it, but now it seems it can survive the high wind environment.

Felix

sswat3 said...

Felix, I wonder if any fruit grows out from your trees. Are some of them edible?

Unknown said...

I don't have fruit trees, except a big Tangerine Tree which was a gift from a sister-in-law several years ago (the kind available in Chinese New Year) and has now grown to 5 feet tall and 3 ft in diameter (trimmed every year by me). It produces fruits about 2-3 inches in diameter. I never ate the fruit and regard them as ornament only, just let them fall when over-riped. One day a friend was here and tried it, and amazingly it was VERY sweet. I should eaten more.

The cherry and plum trees I have are all designated as "Flowering Plum" and "Flowering Cherry". They are varieties grown for good flowers than fruits.

I don't want fruit trees because they often produce too many fruits, more than we can consume, so very often the fruits fall on to the ground to rot, making a mess in the yard. We have co-workers who always bring back oranges, lemons, avocardro, apples etc etc that they harvest from their backyard. There are so many of them that they have to bring back to the work place and 『囈』人要 !

.

sswat3 said...

Congratulations, Felix! You have fruits to eat at your workplace and flowers to see at your backyard. How wonderful it is!