Thursday, July 21, 2011

June Harvest

This June is Harvest time to my old friend, Daisy Mak, at her home-yard in Texas.

Daisy said, “I practice organic farming. The vegetables I planted are tasty! I grow tomatoes (4 types, big and small), chili pepper (4 types, some long, some round, some hot, some not hot) and okra (it is not a cucumber, it is also called lady's fingers; commonly used by Thai and Pakistani; we can get it in some wet markets in HK; my mother never uses them; I use it for stir-fry or to put in Thai curry; it tastes a bit like 絲 瓜 but smaller and more tender). I also grow herbs (basil, rosemary, sage, green onion and chive).”

“I also attached the 9.5 inches diameter hibiscus photo. Last year I got 12 inches diameter hibiscus. This year I got only 9.5-inch ones because I didn't fertilize the flower bed.

The butterfly shown is Called Eastern Tiger Swallowtail,” Daisy added.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Envy, envy, envy! Wish we could have the time and green finger to grow veges. Then the 12 inches diameter hibicus and the most beautiful gigantic butterfly! They look so perfect that it is easy to think that they are artificial.