Sunday, June 10, 2007

Wall Chart (2)

When I eat pork luncheon meat(豬肉午餐肉), I never know which part of pork meat it is. I guess it is a mixture of the cheapest and toughest parts of the pig. The best parts have already been taken away for sale to get higher prices. Somehow the luncheon meat appears to be very soft. I suppose it has been mixed with some fat and crushed by mixers.

I like Ham (火腿) best because it is a little salty and soft too. I know it comes from the upper part of the pig’s leg. I like it to appear in my sandwiches, salad and fried rice.

Thanks to Felix who gave me ham last May when he visited Mainland China and dropped by Hong Kong. This portion of ham is good enough to boil soup for a year or two, of course not every day but once or twice a month. It is not only treasure to us , but adds much taste to our soup!

This chart shows pork from different parts of a pig. See if you can recognize them.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your Charts are indeed very nice and useful. I have seen something like this over here but they are only in English. Now for the first time I know which parts of pork we are buying when my wife asks for some "Lau Mui" or "Mui Tau". My little knowledge in Anatomy (I had no formal course in Anatomy before) doesn't help me when shopping, because they use a completely different set of terms, not Anatomy terms. For instance one muscle of the lower limb they call the calf, is called gastrocnemius in Anatomy. God knows what I want if I tell the meat vendor I want a whole piece of gastrocnemius. I am glad you like the ham I brought from China. I love this kind of ham too, and wish I could bring one whole leg back home to San Francisco. But US Customs and California law prohibit people from bringing in meat and vegetables (and fruits) by ourselves -- for fear of introducing plant and animal diseases. After all, California is still a farming state. -- Felix

Hong Lit said...

We have luncheon meat from time to time too. We always buy the brand Spam lite, which is supposed to be less salty~

sswat3 said...

Lit! You don't have to eat luncheon meat in Thailand in these few days. You have a lot of delicious food to eat provided that you have money.

Where do you live this time?In an Ecotel or a grand Hotel?

Unknown said...

Talking about Luncheon meat, reminds me of a certain brand made in China -- forgot the brand name (may be "Mui Lam") but most people of our age remember the "white little pig" logo on the wrapper. It was really very good, meat is lean and almost like ham with the meat textures. It was the best luncheon of our time (around 1980s)

I missed it a lot when I migrated to San Francisco. One day to my delight I found the "white little pig" cans in a grocery shop, but was quite diasppointed after I ate it -- it was not the same. Later I found that it was made in Canada and not from China. I have been looking for the original China made one but to no avail. Since then I saw many different versions of the white little pig, exactly the same label but made in different places, but none of these can compare with the original taste I had in HK.

sswat3 said...

Felix,

I guess the luncheon meat that you mentioned can be Great Wall" brand luncheon meat with ham (長城牌火腿午餐肉).

I think it is still on sale in Hong Kong and Mainland China. Let me go and find out if these cans of luncheon meat can be found on the racks of our Supermarkets in Hong Kong.

Unknown said...

Righto !!! It is Great Wall brand.

Anonymous said...

We wish China has stricter rules and tighter scrutiny on food productions.