Along the paths from the village at Yung Shue Wan (榕樹灣), Lamma Island (南丫島) to Hung Shing Yeh Wan (洪聖爺灣), I found these lovely hanging red flowers. They appeared like parachutes with petals bending up to form crowns. The stamens. stigma and pistils were hanging much lower down for free pollination and fertilization.
Certain tourists on the island focused on these beautiful flowers with their cameras. I was among one of them. They became parts of my memory and treasure in one of my folders in my computer.
Can any one of my readers tell me the name of these special plants which can bear such interesting flowers?
3 comments:
The flower you photographed certainly is beautiful. Its scientific name is Hibiscus schizopetalus, and is a relative of the common Hibiscus ("Big Red Flower") Hibiscus rosachinensis. Just compare their stamens you will see the close resemblance.
Some people call it "Lantern Flower". Does it look like the Chinese red lanterns?
Felix
Thanks for telling me this, Felix. I am really curious to find out its name, you know.
Lantern Flowers! Sure! It is nice to see them on Lamma Island. I hope I can see them near where I live.
Beautiful flowers, nice to see you enjoy them.
Post a Comment