Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Street Car in Fisherman’s Wharf Area

It is really impressive for me to see such an old-fashioned street car that still runs on the street along Wharf Area in San Francisco.

This worm-like car moves by electricity and crawls slowly on parallel rails, not because it is old, but it keeps the tour slow enough for sightseeing or as chair-lifts for the elderly.

If I were there seeing such kind of cars running in the street, I would have asked myself if I had gone back to the old days of San Francisco by a time-machine. A strike on the head will tell me that I am in the 21st century.

The design and look of the “tram” in San Francisco reflect to me that they are stream-lined, heavily coated with scraps of iron and lined with a large number of small flat windows.

The right photo shows a bright yellow street car at depot with its electricity-conducting bar lowered down.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

The worm-like street electric tram looks cute.