Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dust Storm experienced in Sydney

Here is a special report from Sydney: Thanks Ho Keung and Yin Ping!

“On 22/9/2009 Sydney was under the blanket of dust storm. Here are some photos from the newspaper. I have taken some outside our house this morning around 07:50am, and sending you one of them. The reddish-brown dust coating cars, clothes and people in Sydney today came from two flooded rivers in western Queensland. That the tiny particles made it more than 2,400 kilometres from their origin to the noses, mouths and lungs of people in Australia's largest urban centre required a rare confluence of environmental factors not seen in decades, according to the country's leading scientists. The air pollution in Sydney was 1500 times more than usual.”


One who has never experienced such a phenomenon may think that the end of the world has come. If I were there, I would be scared too!

The top photo shows part of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The second photo shows the Centrepoint (Sydney Tower). The third photo shows the Opera House. The bottom photo shows the street scene in the outskirts of Sydney.

2 comments:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Thank you for "publishing" the photos, the bottom photo is taken from our driveway outside the house.

小熊貓 Little Panda said...

Thanks for sharing these photos. Wow, when I heard of a sandstorm, I didn't expect it to look so bad. May I ask if people in Sydney had to walk on the streets with some sorts of clothings covering their faces??