Saturday, September 05, 2009

Fisherman’s Wharf at Steveston

Recently, I saw from TV and read from Wikipedia about the Fisherman’s Wharf at Steveston, Richmond, Vancouver. What’s more I learn from is a clip of this wharf from You-tube.

These are what I observe about this wharf:

[1] The wharf here really facilitates the fishermen who bring home their catches from the sea, fish or prawns or lobsters.

[2] There is a long bridge linking the street level to a very long parking platform where fishing can park alongside and fresh sea food is sold there directly into the hands of the tourists or buyers or housewives.

[3] On the shore, there are big restaurants, obviously serving mainly sea food.
[4] Some of the boats, not stream-lined, looking like old toys floating in the water. I guess they still work. Time cannot change their look or uses.

[5] Among the fish sold, dogfish is the cheapest, C$1 per lb., while Halibut is the dearest, C$7 per lb. If I were a buyer, I prefer C$4 to 5 fish.

[6] Prawns that are sold here are bright orange to red in colour. Tourists or buyers can have free tries. How generous are the fishmongers.










[7] There are three flags at the wharf. The tallest is the Canadian flag. One looks like the Japanese flag with a big red circle in the centre. I think it is the flag representing this wharf. The last flag may belong to the fishery union at Steveston.

7 comments:

Agent S'connie said...

Dad and mom, we can definitely bring you guys there when you come here next week.

sswat3 said...

Thank you. We would like to go!

小熊貓 Little Panda said...

Haha, I went to Fisherman's Wharf before. Are you going to British Columbia?? You can check out some photos I posted on Facebook (You need to sign in before viewing the links):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12823&id=517727455&l=84b46ab874

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11739&id=517727455&l=bdd7f347ce

Have a great trip!!

sswat3 said...

Cecilia, you are right. I will be in Vancouver in mid-September.

I hope I can take some beautiful pictures and enjoy the food there.

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

You must be so much looking forward to going there in reality.

阿比-艾莉 爸爸 said...

Did the TV programme introduce places in Vancouver? Where else did they talk about? ^_^

sswat3 said...

Philip,

Chinatown and a night-market selling all sorts of snacks during summer time.