Lam Yan suffered from an illness which forced her to sit on wheel chair. I noticed yesterday that her classmates were really nice to her, have afternoon tea with her, giving her a birthday present and a birthday cake to cut. It was a touching moment too when she received a black handbag from her closed friends.
Rosanna as Yan called herself mentioned she was working on translation and having private tutorials with young students. All these keep her busy and filled with satisfaction. Probably she enjoys life in this manner.
Let’s go back to the title here. I did not know where Lam Yan lives and which restaurant Miss Ng and the students usually visited. What I supposed to do was to meet them at Tai Po Market Station. We were to take a green taxi to the restaurant. As soon as we stepped out of the taxi at the destination, we began to go up a small commercial complex. I chanced to find out that I had arrived at Fu Shin Estate (富善邨).
After tea and accompanying Lam Yan home, we went to the main road and decided to cross it to the opposite bus-terminus to take buses home. Miss Ng and her students decided to take a 271 bus back to Tsimshatsui while I took a 71K to Tai Po Market Station. It took me around 10 minutes to wait for one such bus. I noticed this bus had crossed the Lam Tsuen River. Later as it arrived at a covered area, many people got off the bus. I followed them down. By the time the bus started off, I noticed that I had got off the bus too early. Well, I did not want to wait for another another 15 minutes. I followed the direction the 71K went. Soon I was out of this area which I later learned from my map that it was Kwong Fuk Estate (廣福邨).
When I saw trains running in the distance, I learned that I was somewhere near the station. Maybe it took me another 10 minutes to reach the station. I had to decide which direction I should go, left or right? I chose my right hand direction. Road signs told me that I was on the right track.
From this experience, I guess I have to bring along a map whenever I go to an area I am not familiar with. I can read a map, locate my position and with the power of long-distance walking (I love walking very much in the past and at present). I am sure I can walk out of a concrete town like Tai Po even if I do not take a bus.
1 comment:
It is good to see your former student living a constructive and fulfiling life despite her disability, as well as that she is being uplifted by the warm friendship of her friends.
Walking is a very good exercise, we should have done it more often
but sadly not enough time.
We always keep a road directory in our car, otherwise we may put ourselves in hot water. Of course some people now rely on GPS system, we think that those people will never learn the roads, all they know is turn right, turn left or go straight.
Post a Comment