Thursday, March 04, 2010

Seaplanes at Downtown Vancouver

Passengers can board seaplanes at the Float plane Terminal near Harbour Green Park, a little distance to the west of Canada Place at Downtown Vancouver. These planes are carrying passengers to and from Vancouver Island.

It was Saturday when we went to Stanley Park which meant that the demand for flights shot up sharply. Loud throbbing sounds of noisy engines could be heard almost every fifteen minutes at Stanley Park. Obviously, these planes used the peaceful water to the west of Canada Place to fly up to the sky.

The flight, if I estimate, will be around half an hour or so from Downtown Vancouver to Victoria. If one drives from Downtown southward to the B.C Ferries terminal at Tsawwassen, it will take about 45 minutes and a ferry-trip of 90 minutes, excluding the waiting time at the pier. After landing at Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal, it takes about 30 to 45 minutes to drive to Victoria. In this manner, it can take up to 3 - 4 hours for a car-ferry-car trip.

I had seen seaplanes landing on the waters of the inner harbour of Victoria when I was dining at a restaurant at its waterfront. When I heard it fly overhead, it was too late for me to go outside to take snapshots of the landing plane.