Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The World of Suzie Wong

Nancy Kwan, an actress of the 1960’s film, “The World of Suzie Wong”, who resides in Los Angeles, paid a visit to Luk Kwok Hotel recently.

I remember that I have seen the film before. The film was about a love story that happened in Wanchai, Hong Kong. The film, more or less, has raised the popularity of Hong Kong to the outside world and that of the stars, Nancy Kwan and William Holden.

Now Nancy Kwan learned that “Nam Kok Hotel” in the film, actually “Luk Kwok Hotel” had been rebuilt into a skyscraper, still with the existence of the hotel.

Nancy Kwan, now 70, said that, “In the old days, people would follow me around. It was quite scary actually. It was very difficult to get used to. But it was quite a long time ago.” “People may think that I am an old bag now,” she joked.

“歲月神偷”, a Hong Kong-made film has got a prize recently, brought back memories of the life of Hong Kong people in the “60”s and saved the buildings on 永利街 (the location where the film was shot) from being pulled down in Central.

I hope that more films about the life of the people in Hong Kong should be made.

N.B. Part of the information comes from "The Standard" today.

2 comments:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

She looks great at 70.

Sc Lo said...

When we went to see the film “歲月神偷”, the cinema was 40% full which was a good indication of market - the film idustrial market or the general market. However, the viewers were on the averaged above 50. I came to two conclusions: such films are only popular to people of this age group, and the time and spending power of these people are above average!