Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Long lives Echeveria

The top photo I took 4 years ago showed a potted Echeveria (石蓮) at Felix Ching’s backyard.

The fleshy leaves seem like those of cacti in arid deserts. The arrangement of the succulent leaves looks like flowers. The small flowers of Echeveria are normally yellow to red or pink. The interesting things about them are that they grow out between the leaves.

Recently Felix sent me a photo (the bottom right photo) of his potted Echeveria sp. The plant looked different from the one I saw four years ago. Maybe it is a younger generation. Can you see the differences between these two potted Echeveria?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wat: It's amazing that you can quickly dig out my plant photo of 4 years ago.

I hope I am right in identifying the plants; it's not surprising if I had made a mistake. Even though they are both Echeveria (genus), they may be different species, and thus they look different from each other.

Felix

sswat3 said...

Capturing interesting photos of any kind becomes my new hobby after retirement.

I am always busy taking photos when I travel. In those eight hours of flight to Australia, I did not sleep at all. I kept watching for land. After five hours or so when the Cathay Pacific plane flied past the Gulf of Carpentaria, the first sight of the red to brown land of Queensland below gave me great curiosity and satisfaction.

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

The leaves are so amazingly grouped together to look like flowers.