Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Aces (2)

Last Friday during my walk to the Public Convenience during the CCSC 40th Anniversary dinner, I was stopped by a voice calling me, “ Mr. Wat.” I freezed myself to a stop and turned to find 4 familiar girls that I had taught before. It was a pity that I could not remember their names right away because it was such a lone time that we had parted. They invited me to have photos taken. Surely I accepted and used my camera to take a group photo with them too.

What a valuable thing to see are the messages from Christina to me. This is the second message in which she writes like this:

Dear Mr. Wat,

People in the photo, from left to right, are Koo Siu Kam Elty, Cheng Wai Fun Bonnie, Chu Bo Yin Rainbow and myself.

Yes, you taught me Maths in F. 2. I was in 2D and the form mistress was Mrs Tse. I finished F. 5 in 1984 and was not able to have an outstanding HKCEE result to remain in the school for matriculation course. I had my bachelor degree (English Language & Literature) in Baptist U. I then worked in various companies and had been in internatinal law firms in the HR area for 12.5 years before I joined my current company Chanel in end of 2006. In the past, I used to hire lawyers and had been very focused on junior level like trainee solicitors and law clerks, and local and overseas campus recruitment. I also do a bit on professional development/training. I took a 2.5 years part-time MBA course in 1999 at the PolyU. It's really tough to work and study at the same time.

Elty is also in the HR area and is in a garment company. Bonnie is working in the accounting/administration areas in a non-government organization. Actually, I have known Bonnie since Primary 3. As for Rainbow, she is the assistant vice president of agency operations in Manulife. All of us were in the Biology class i.e. 4E & 5E and our form master was Samuel Cheng. In the same 2D class, we have Wong Chi Wai Steve, Cheung Ming Fai, Cheung Ting Yin Donny, Kwong Kiu Sum Boris etc. I don't quite recall others who were in the same 2D without referring to the class photo. We do have some contact since we left school. I may search my photo album and see if I can find our class photo and send you a copy.

How's your recent life? Should be very relaxing comparing with a teacher's life.

Christina

I always want to know the whereabouts of my students, their successes and the happy moments they are at work and with their families. The more I hear from them, the more I know them and be close to them. A brief description of their recent lives can add moments of joy to me. I hope that each and every one of my students can share their experience in life with me. Write me e-mails often so that I can be fed with news of you.

One name that Christina mentioned in this message to me makes me feel sad for a while. Her beloved form-mistress, Mrs. Tse, had passed away. Mrs. Tse was one of my good friends and colleagues too. May she rest in peace and be God with her if she has a religion.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Your two "Aces" articles made us feel that you were teaching at a girls' school.

The Bible John 3:16 said,"God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."