Saturday, May 16, 2009

Woolworths and Coles

In Hong Kong, the two biggest supermarkets go to “Park-in” and “Wellcome”.

In Australia, Woolworths and Coles are the two leading ones. At Kellyville Plaza, the two supermarkets are just next door.

I remember that Coles was the first supermarket I visited in Sydney. It was a big one to me when compared with those in Hong Kong. Most of the articles were Australian-made and some strange to me because they never appear in Hong Kong. My wife and I only bought some prunes, but nothing else because we knew we had all we need and would be well-served in our relatives’ house.

We had been to Woolworths before we returned to Hong Kong. Inside we bought some Hawaiian nuts home as gifts. We bought some “Thank you” cards for my daughter and son-in-law to write their “words of thanks” and for us too to their Dear Uncle, Aunt and cousins.

What one of these supermarkets impressed me most was that one evening close to Christmas, the price of 6 buns (餐飽) was just 50 Australian cents which meant about HK$3 for 6 buns. We could never buy similar buns $0.5 each in Hong Kong.

Today we just heard that Woolworths is better managed than Coles. I hope that Coles can improve its management before we visit it again next time.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Not only Abby has great memory, you have great memory too.