Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mr. Wat’s list

This is not Schindler’s List, 舒特拉的名單. Let me remind you that Oskar Schindler, a Nazi party member, saved 1100 Jews from concentration camps in WWII.

It was a seating plan I made myself by computer some fourteen years ago. I considered it a “masterpiece” because I always consider myself “poor and ignorant” in using a computer. The reason of making such a plan was that I wanted to learn the names of students of my and at the same time I could call their names out when I used it in the classroom. I admitted that this seating plan became useless once my dear students demanded for a “change” in their seats.

Recently this seating plan becomes my “treasure” when I click at “Facebook”. It helps me recognize the students I used to greet, see, meet, and talk with in 2D classroom each day in the academic year 1994-95.

Patrick Lee first brought about the class photo of 2D and soon other students flocked in to chat. Each of the participants wrote something interesting through their hearts and made me feel like going back to the old days with the students of my class.

Patrick is the first one who puzzles why I have such a “good” memory. He does not believe that I possess such power. Well, I can tell you that if you give me the list of names, I believe I am able to map about 50% of the names with my students. However if you don’t give me the list, it will be quite difficult for me to call out the names right away.

Cecilia Tsui (once my colleague at CCSC), Dorothy Kwok (now teaching at CCSC), Kenny Yu (in Singapore), Mabel Siu(in England, I think), Florence Leung, Shirley Wong ( a musician), Lowe Chan (A happy girl), Edward Chow (helped in the preparation work for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Torch Relay in Hong Kong, see my previous article) were the first group of students that invited me to be their friends in Facebook.

The second lot comes recently as Patrick Lee(The first boy who brings his 2D classmates together in Facebook), Geoffrey Yam (He has changed his English name to Josh), Panacea Wan (someone says that she is now so beautiful that he cannot recognize her), Louis So(a handsome boy), Michael Chiu, Simon Chan(he does not invite me as a friend, but in return, I invite him so), Crystal Fan (She said she could still remember the subject matters in Mathematics she learned from me. Amazing, isn’t it), Alan Lee (still very handsome) and Dicky Wah(wearing a helmet).

Recently more students appear. They are Sophia Lui, Emily Leung, Winnie Au and Michelle Tjong. The most recent one is Timothy Chu (he describes himself as a small potoato).

If I miss anyone's name here, please remind me by an e-mail in Facebook or click at “comment” in this article of my blog and write there.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Have a good time with your former students at Facebook.