Saturday, June 07, 2008

A Wedding Card

This was the wedding card I gave to my old colleague, Miss J. Chan and her husband this morning, June 7th, 2008. One interesting thing about it was that it could be turned into a wedding cake (see the second picture).

This morning heavy downpour flooded many places in Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Observatory issued the “Black” Rain warning signal early at six something. I wondered if the Marriage Registry at Shatin would open for couples who intended to marry today.

This question came to me and everybody who was going to attend J. Chan’s wedding. I decided to go to the Registry first to see if it opened. I arrived there at ten past ten. A card “休息” was hanging at the door. Funny, wasn’t it. Who were taking rest? The officers at the office or the people who are attending wedding ceremonies?

I peeped in and saw a couple sitting at the counter, entertained by the people in the office. The door was an automatic one. I guessed I would try to go in and wait. As I was waiting, the families of the couple came in. Later the couple invited me to take a photo for them.

It followed that a tall foreigner and a hump-backed gentleman came in. The tall gentleman went to the counter with a piece of paper. I supposed he was one of the bride-grooms. Some of my colleagues came and I told them that the foreigner might be Brent, the name J. Chan told me before in the phone. Mrs. Tong confirmed that the foreigner was Brent. My guess was right. Mrs. Tong pinned up the flowers to the clothes of the bridegroom and the other gentleman whom I supposed to be one of the witnesses at the wedding.

J. Chan had not yet arrived in her car. At about ten forty-five, she came. Registration was made at the counter and soon we went into Room 1 of the Registry. Some photos were taken first. Later the ceremony of the wedding began. Short oaths were made by the couple. Then the married couple and witnesses signed on the marriage certificate.

Next relatives, friends, classmates, colleagues and students of J. Chan in turn took photos with this happy couple.

Outside the Registry, I talked with J. Chan’s mother who knew me well.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice wedding card you picked. I like the cake when it opens out.

While you guys have bad weather and unwelcome storms in HK, over here we are hoping for more rain. It's one of the dryer years with lower than average rainfall. The Water Dept in our city requires consumers to reduce water consumption by 19%. If it gets any worse there will be water rationing.

Remember the olden times of water rationing in HK -- once every 4 days? Of course it's not going to be that bad... but does reminds me of those days.

sswat3 said...

It seems that we have the same point of view. We both like the beautiful wedding cake.

I still remember those hard time of water shortage in Hong Kong. Now I treasure every drop of water from the tap.

Can the U.S. Government think of ways to bring in winds and rain?

Unknown said...

Not U.S.Government, not ANY Government, Not any human beings.

All humans are similar and powerless in front of Mother Nature. No one can work against Mother Nature.

All pretense and false claims that someone is more powerful and can overcome nature just appear so stupid, when natural disasters happen. We are just all the same.

In just the last several years, human beings have been given to understand, all too frequently perhaps, that how helpless we are in midst of natural forces, whether it be hurricanes, sumanmi, floods, and earthquakes.

That reminds us that human beings should love and help each other instead of seeking to intimidate and overpower the weaker.

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

The wedding card is very beautiful and nearly an extravaganza. We think your colleague and her husband would have been very happy with your present.