Thursday, December 13, 2007

Captain Cook Memorial


At one side of the lake in front of the New Parliament House at Canberra, Capital City of Australia, I found a big metal globe. On the ring that surrounded it was written “Captain Cook Memorial”.

I learned from History lessons that Captain Cook sailed his ship to Australia and landed on it. He was worth remembered in the hearts of Australians. There were lines on this globe that marked the route of travels of this great navigator across the oceans and reached this Southern Continent.

The people who made this globe are serious enough to give very accurate shapes and detailed relief of lands, so this “Earth” looked very realistic to the spectators. The globe is tilted so that people understand that our Earth rotates round and round using a slanting axis. The net-work supporting the continents actually represent the latitudes and longitudes of our Earth. I wondered if it would rotate, driven by motors. At the time I took these two photos, it was motionless!

3 comments:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Aiya, we don't even know this treasure exists! Next time we go to Canberra we must look for it. Did you take this picture while we were busy with the noodle cooking and fighting with the millions of flies?

sswat3 said...

Yes, I escaped from the scene of cooking noodles and the swarm of flies because I believed I could help nothing in the cooking. I strolled towards the left in the direction of the low hill at the far end. This globe was near the lakeside at the foot of the low hill.

I aimed at bringing home some photos of valuable things I saw or experienced. I dared to walk far away from the cooking site. If I were in a dense forest, I would get lost.

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Yes we did notice that you were in a mission of capturing valuable photos. While we were in the Darling Harbour, you walked away to take some photos of something on the Maritime Museum. Before we reported to the police about a lost person, you appeared again looking very satisfied. ( Hehe, just kidding.)