His first message to me:
“3 days are definitely not enough, both for the really didn't know what to show Audrey (she was from HK but left when small -- so she know very little about HK Island etc.) so I only went to Central, had tea/dim sum at Luk Yu, then walked up and down the escalator (first time) to central... From Central I took #7 bus to HKU and nearby area... then took #23 bus to Causeway Bay.... went around some streets... then that's about it.... -- so these need not be "famous" places, but just places I wanted to see again. I would also go to try more food of diff. types....”
In his second message to me, he added:
“Because of the compactness of all these get-together, private time as you said became even more precious. We went to Luk Yu Tea House in early morning in fact, and was probably one of our first destinations when we crossed the harbor and walked all the way from Star Ferry to nk we did take a Tram ride first to Sheung Wan and then back to Central, then walked up to Stanley Street.) Luk Yu was only just open and we could easily find a table ("Car seats"). It was nice to try the old-style Chinese tea pots (metal, though) and see the dim sum carried in a metal tray on a middle-aged woman server's waist (hope you know what I mean). I think we only had 3 or 5 "lungs" of dim sum, and the bill was HK$320. Not too bad, actually, as it is about US$40. A lunch at a better Bay Area restaurant (not even as equivalent as Luk Yue in fame) can easily be US$60.
We also went to the neaby Yung Kee (remember its well-known barbecue goose) but it was not yet open, so I took a picture at the door....just too early.
Then we walked back to Central for just a little window-shopping as we walked along, then in Central we took a bus to HKU and nearby areas....then bus 23 to Eastern District. Next we went to different places in Causeway Bay, bought some movies and disks, and to Sogo. At Sogo, Mr. Leung called me (your cell-phone) and said he had the pictures for me....and asked where he could see me.... I said, "Great.... I am just at the Sogo MTR Station.... and he happened to be at some MTR Station, so within 30 minutes I met him at Sogo platform and got his DVD."
5 comments:
While you mentioned my meeting Mr Leung and get pictures from him at the MTR station....
He rushed to finish making the DVD (with custom-made CD label with my picture on it), some print outs, and CD of photos... (literally within hours) and made sure he could give them to me before I leave.
Considering that he was my former BOSS, and himself such a busy body, I was really grateful and feel spoiled and flattered.
Similarly, I feel the same (if not more) gratefulness for all the many things Wat and Mag did for me, to make my life easy over the 3 day stay, and to make sure I could meet as many people as possible. I am really really grateful.
In Mr. Leung's mind, you must be a talented, hard-working, efficient and outstanding teacher.
You were and are respected all the time and you could have climbed to a higher position in your teaching career if you were still teaching, say to Vice-principal. This is only my point of view.
Lok Yu Tea House is not the place I will go because it serves mainly to rich people in Hong Kong or visitors like you from America.
Considering two people taking a meal at Lok Yu, the bill itself reaches about HK$320. With this sum of money, I can have 3 such and similar meals (for two people) at a cheaper restaurant.
Mind you, you are using U.S. dollars and measuring the cost from
an American's point of view. That makes a different angle of looking at the cost of the meal.
Great friendship
Great friendship.
Post a Comment