Saturday, May 24, 2008

Ribena (利賓納)

In the past, Ribena used to be a kind of drinks we brought as a gift to our friends or relatives when they were sick. It was believed to be good to the sick for earlier recovery. In my dictionary, Ribena links with “recovery from sickness”. Same to Macaronis, when I see them, they reminded me of the only “food” I ate when I was ill in my childhood. In this case, I avoid eating macaronis in my daily meals except that there is no other choice.

Ribena always preserves its original nature of concentrated version which we have to dilute it before we drink it. Now this version has been modified to versions with no sugar and with glucose.

In recent years, Ribena provides instant drinks. It does not have the taste of blackcurrants alone, but a mixture of blackcurrants with lemon, blackcurrants with pears and most recently, soft-drinks called Ribena Sparkling (有氣汽水). This latest version of products of Ribena is stored in glass bottles with the shape of a lady, similar to those classic bottles of Coke.

Yesterday I chanced to see a display of Ribena in a supermarket. These bottles of Ribena drinks are instant ones, but not of the “Sparkling” type. They were placed in cardboard racks in the design for the new “soft-drink” products. Please look out for these "soft-drinks" in your supermarkets or elsewhere. I do not mean you have to try it, but just notice its existence.

1 comment:

Ho Keung and Yin Ping said...

Tim doesn't like to eat congee because when he was sick at one time in his childhood, he was fed with congee for a few days.

Ribena had been given a very good status in the past. Actually in March last year the manufacturing company was fined in court for misleading advertisements which claimed the Ribena syrup had 4 times the Vitamin C of oranges. Two high school science students found in their school experiments that there was no detectable Vitamin C in the drinks. The problem may have been rectified but like any other soft drinks or cordial, it contains mostly water and sugar.