Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Bauhinia








One morning when we walked in a narrow street of Telok Karau in Singapore, I found a beautiful flower growing out of a hole made by a truncated branch of a Bauhinia tree. It attracted my attention because it suddenly appeared at my eye-level. I could not help holding up my camera and brought its image home.

I always like the colour of the flowers of a Bauhinia, being a colour between red and purple. The petals stretch out widely and elegantly to attract the attention of bees. The insect guides are distinct. Even if I am not a bee, I like their rich red colour. The anthers stand upright so that the bees could get its pollens easily.

Today, I see these flowers again in Hong Kong. I never notice their existence nearby my home for years. Anyway from now on, I will look at them whenever I have time!

Please study the Bauhinia flowers in the photos above closely. You will find them lovely!

No comments: