Thursday, March 08, 2007

Up and Down Balloon










I noticed a big yellow balloon high in the air in a distance the other day when we were at the Promenade near Fullerton Hotel, Singapore. I could not locate its exact location because I knew nothing about the area around me.

However on the day I went out alone to take photos, I finally arrived at the spot where I could see it, face to face, on the ground. The balloon was of the usual colours of yellow and red of the “DHL”. I believed “DHL” should be one of the sponsors!

Here, I quoted the advertisement from a tourist guide:

“The DHL Balloon@Bugis

New attraction now opened. Ride the World’s Biggest Helium Balloon. Fly up into the air at 150m with nothing under your feet and only a big balloon above your head to enjoy the best panoramic city view. It is a unique and extraordinary experience which will leave you full of excitement. U can fly!!!”

The admission fee is S$23 (HK$115) per adult and the duration of the flight is about 7 – 10 minutes.

Unlike balloons in other parts of the world, this one can only go up or down. It cannot really fly across Singapore island. I understand quite well that if it flies freely, it will endanger the flights of planes to the airport.

If this balloon only reaches a height of 150m, it is no more than our standing at the top of a 50 - storey building in the city and looking down. Maybe the feeling up there is a different matter. I guess that some lovers may make engagement or even marry right at that carriage below the balloon or parents may give flying experience to their children!

3 comments:

Hong Lit said...

Is the bridge in one of the photos named Anderson Bridge?

sswat3 said...

Lit! You are right. You are almost a Singaporean!

Hong Lit said...

It's just because I have passed through this bridge during the last 10km race in Singapore. :)