

I seldom go to Petrol Station these days after my retirement. For three and a half years, I had to cross two tunnels and travel 42 km a day (for double journeys). The tank of my car was to be refilled twice a month. In all my years at CCSC, a large sum of money went into the pockets of the oil and tunnel companies. You may say I have been working for these profit-making companies.
It was the first time I saw Felix insert his 50 US dollars into the slot of a oil pumping machine in a petrol station nearby his home. It was interesting indeed to see that the machine could recognize that dollar-note and Felix began to fill his oil tank with the oil “gun”. Everything here was self-served!
In Australia, the prices of petrol are different at different petrol stations. The prices are like those of seafood. Moreover, the prices may fluctuate on different days of the week. The cheapest price may appear on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Drivers in this case will look at the prices on the boards outside the stations when they pass by. The pumping of petrol is self-served, but payment should be made at the counter.
In Hong Kong, drivers can sit back by giving instructions on what kind and amount or value of petrol to be refilled. The purchase can be made in cash, or by credit cards or oil cards. In the past, gifts in the form of tissue paper or bottles of distilled water were given to the customers, but nowadays nothing but the receipts go into their hands. There are two types of unleaded petrol. I was always asked, “Platinum unleaded or “Golden unleaded?”. My answer is always “The cheaper kind”. The reason was very simple. My car was just a 1500 c.c. one. I do not need the more powerful petrol (as advertised). Saving that $1 each litre may save a lot. Yesterday, I filled my oil tank again and noticed that the dearer kind of petrol rose to HK$13.81 per litre while the cheaper kind HK$12.99 per litre. The prices of petrol have gone up to a very high level. Nowadays, driving has become one kind of luxurious sports in Hong Kong.
2 comments:
Nowadays I only travel 15km a day (to and from office) so that I only need to fill my tank only once every 20-25 days, and it costs about $700+.
I use the more expensive petrol, but I really have no idea what performance gain does it give to my car.
I just did a quick calculation: Gasoline in HK is $12.99 per Liter, and 1 gallon = 3.8 Liters. Thus, the price in HK is HK$12.99x3.8 per gallon, which is about US$6/gallon. Wow... Gasoline is almost twice as expensive in HK as in the Bay Area !!!
Lately I don't drive as much as before, as Audrey gives me a ride every day, drops me off first before continuing to Stanford. After work she comes and picks me up before going home. That saves us at least 1/3 of our total gas consumption.
We drive a lot of miles each day and need to fill the tank every other day or at the most every 3 days.
Another benefit from this plan is: I don't have to drive so I can take a nap as soon as I got on the car.
p.s. Funny that we use so different terminology: We use gas/gaoline vs. your petrol.
We use gallons while you use Liters; we use miles while you use km.
USA is just so old fashioned and stubborn towards retaining old non-SI units.
Post a Comment